Background

Sunday, July 17, 2011

I Scream, You Scream.....

Yay for ICE CREAM! I absolutely love ice cream! Just like pizza is one of my weaknesses, so is ice cream. Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month?  Today just happens to be National Ice Cream Day too (The third Sunday of July). I stumbled upon a recipe that doesn't need an ice cream machine. At first I was a little skeptical and thought that it wouldn't taste anything like "real" ice cream. Not only does it turn out creamy and delicious but it is ridiculously easy to make. The base is just Heavy Cream and Sweetened Condensed Milk and then you can pretty much have any kind of "add-in" that you want. I made a coffee, chocolate, and toffee ice cream. My inspiration came from a coffee, chocolate, sugar grinder I got from Trader Joe's last week. It has bits of coffee beans, chocolate chunks, and sugar crystals.  I've been putting in my coffee, but it would be amazing on cupcakes or ice cream too. I will definitely be trying out different variations of the base recipe. I am also in the process of making another homemade, no machine, dairy free, low sugar ice cream! Stay tuned for that recipe :)

Ingredients:
 Directions:
 1. Whip the cream to stiff peaks
2. Mix in any "add ins" to condensed milk (I used about 3 Tbls coffee, 1/2 cup Heath Bits, 1 Tbls Chocolate Syrup)
3. Combine milk and cream and pour into 2 quart container
4. Freeze until hardened (Swirl Magic Shell, Freeze, and break up shell. I repeated this process 2-3 times for lots of chocolate chunks)
5. Enjoy :)








1 comment: