Background

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Birthday Brownies

Last week was my dad's birthday and I am usually the one to make the sweet treats in the family. I had been looking for an excuse to experiment with Paleo Sweet Treats so I used my family as guinea pigs for these brownies :)
They turned out really good and extremely rich! You don't even need a big piece to get the yummy chocolatey and nutty flavor! I combined two different recipes from this website.

Brownie Ingredients 
  • 16 ounces of walnut butter (take a bag of walnuts and ground in the food processor)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • 1 cup agave nectar or honey
  • 1tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 ounces chopped dark chocolate
Sauce Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
 Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 8x8 baking pan

2. Mix together walnuts, vanilla, agave, and egg

3. Add baking soda, salt, and cocoa
4. Once the batter is incorporated completely, mix in chopped chocolate
5. Pour batter in greased pan and bake for 30-35 minutes

For the sauce, heat cocoa and agave in a sauce pan and pour over cooled brownies. I also added slivered almonds, which made a nice finishing touch!
Enjoy :)

1 comment: